[horde] delete all data from inactive users and old data from active users
c***@nosuchhost.net
2018-07-17 15:33:28 UTC
hi

i have two goals:
a) completly delete old users, as those are no longer entitled to use our
service. i think feeding their usernames to horde-remove-user-data should
to the trick. is this sufficient?

b) i would like to delete OLD data for users with several
active-sync-enabled devices. some of our users change their devices quite frequently or had to
reset their desktop-outlooks,... i assume there should be some syncstate
on a per email/contacts/... -device-user basis. i would like to delete
such syncstates older than eg 1 year. is there some script to accomplish that?
i already looked at horde_activesync_state, but would need some "educated"
advise there.

thanks
joe
2018-07-18 14:45:01 UTC
Post by c***@nosuchhost.net
hi
a) completly delete old users, as those are no longer entitled to use our
service. i think feeding their usernames to horde-remove-user-data should
to the trick. is this sufficient?
Probably not. It depends on the authentication backend in use. In many cases,
users are authenticated against an IMAP server. If you don't remove their
account there, they will probably be able login after you removed the user
data and start all over again. You really should remove the user from the
authentication backend and only after that, remove the user data.
the users are already deactivated in the auth-backends. i just need to
"clean" horde.
Post by c***@nosuchhost.net
b) i would like to delete OLD data for users with several
active-sync-enabled devices. some of our users change their devices quite
frequently or had to reset their desktop-outlooks,... i assume there should
be some syncstate on a per email/contacts/... -device-user basis. i would
like to delete such syncstates older than eg 1 year. is there some script
to accomplish that?
i already looked at horde_activesync_state, but would need some "educated"
advise there.
Automation may not be the answer here. I would configure Horde to allow only
one or two ActiveSync devices per user through the Permissions system
(Horde->ActiveSync->max_devices). This makes the user responsible for removal
of the old devices (horde/services/prefs.php?app=horde&group=activesync)
before they can add a new one and prevents you from accidentally erasing a
dormant device without explicit approval from the user. People hate it when
devices have to go through an unexpected resynchronisation while on the road.
thats not possible in our situation. and our users would never expect to
do that themselves. the text "NOTE: WIPING A DEVICE MAY RESET IT TO
FACTORY DEFAULTS. PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU REALLY WANT TO DO THIS BEFORE
REQUESTING A WIPE" is not building confidence. no user will click onto
anything on a page with that text. i think i will try to find "what" that
button does in the background. we assume - and communicate with our users - that
devices without communication for 1 year wont come back.

will come back with any findings.
Ralf Lang